Thursday 1 May 2008

More on religion, and the controversy that inevitably follows.




Since I first began posting on this site, and with good reason, I have logged in every few days or so with caution and nervousness. Why? Because inevitably the topics that are investigated as part of this module are always going to enrage some and motivate others. Today, however, I logged in with an even higher level of alert and wariness. Again, why? Because my last post, this one and a few that will follow are investigating the possibility of 'being too religious'. If there is a topic of debate that has caused more bloodshed, war and atrocity than religion in the history of mankind, it would be kind if someone would point it out to me, for I see it as the biggest instigator myself. I am not expecting this blog to cause bloodshed or start any wars, but at some point I will not be surprised if it creates a stir. If my posts of a month or so ago, concerned with infidelity, created the commotion that they did, then I will not be surprised if my posts concerned with religion do not create an even stronger reaction.




But why does religious debate create such fervent reaction? This is because, for those who believe, religion is the fundamental beginning and end of their being. It is the reason for the moral code they apply to their lives. For some to question ones fundamental belief of their reason for being, this can often evoke heated response, hence the historical bloodshed.




Well here I am, only recently, when discussing bad comedy, declaring myself an advocate of those who challenge pre-conceived ideas and beliefs and challenge the status-quo, so I had better stay true to form... I have always said that you can put your finger on the three fundamental problems of human existence; 1. Sex, 2. Money, 3. Religion.

Hit me...
* Also, just to mention I actually have a link of real relevance and interest here, with a lot of leading thinker's views on religion today, published in the Guardian. It can be found here at http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1980978,00.html.

1 comment:

SM4eva said...

There was also a BBC Programme regarding this topic - it was Monday I think - but you can still see it on catch up TV, it was the BBC2's Am I Normal? series, a Clinical Psychologist examining the "thin line" between fanatic religion and mental illness. The line I liked best was "If you talk to god - it's a prayer, if he talks back - it's Schizophrenia"!!!