Thursday 27 March 2008

The Unbearable Lightness Of Being


I have recently read Milan Kundera's 'The Unbearable Lightness Of Being', and subsequently written a review of it for the assessment 2 part of our 'Being Bad' module. The book is an incredible journey concerning infidelity, companionship, love and personal struggle, and thoroughly recommended by myself, but for all the poingnant philosophy it contains i maintain one question which struck me hard when I finished the novel. I was emotionally exhausted when I finished reading it, partly due to the speed at which I read it due to the impending deadline for the assignment, and it left many issues raging in my mind. I don't want to betray the narrative for anyone who may decide to read it after looking at this post, but i will cautiously continue.


The existentialist themes portrayed by the author are very agreeable to me, but one must approach such philosophy with caution. I myself have fallen head over heels in love with the discipline since I enrolled at the university last summer, but you sometimes remember how wet behind the ears you are as a budding philosopher when you encounter themes such as that contained within 'the unbearable lightness of being'. I found myself screaming to the book (metaphorically speaking, of course!) 'what gives a pursuit (the act of philosophy) such a right to invite such interest into areas of thought where i am unable and unprepared to achieve resolution!'. I sometimes feel betrayed myself by philosophical pursuit, given that it can often open such a can of worms within my mind that i am not prepared for, and then offer not the slightest hope of helping me deal with the issues it has raised and leave me marooned and helpless in a sea of emotional uncertainty.
If you want to read the book, it is available for free, electronically, at http://www.truly-free.org/.

No comments: