Friday 18 April 2008

Drugs


This, I must say, was an excellent lecture. Suitable amounts of humour, interesting facts and academic background and provoking critical analysis to boot. It was refreshing and thought provoking.


'We are all on drugs...' Its a line from a Weezer song and it really is indisputable, as the lecturer mentioned right at the end. In some way or another, at most times in our lives, we have some kind of drug in our system. Be it nicotine, caffeine or even good old plain e-numbers! It kind of pisses me off when people get really self righteous about drugs. I pointed out in the lecture that there indeed is a very strong argument for the fact that the drugs that are illegal in our western societies happen to be the ones that aren't taxed. I personally don't do drugs anymore, well at least i don't do illegal ones anymore. I've stopped smoking as well, but I do drink. My reasons for stopping taking drugs were because they affected MY ability to function to my potential, but that doesn't mean that others can't function to THEIR potential whilst under the influence of drugs. It's purely subjective and everyone reacts differently to drugs in their system. I am heavily influenced by Bill Hicks when it comes to constructing my ideas about the place of drugs in our society. It's just another topic that resolves itself with me in this way - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF, SO MAKE CHOICES, LIVE BY THE DAY, SEIZE THE MOMENT, AND LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES, WHATEVER THEY MAY BE. I just hate it when people get so self righteous about such topics. I think the controversy surrounding drugs is over-elaborate. We should have a more liberal system to deal with the issue. The stigma that surrounds drug use creates as many problems as it solves.


Here is a link to some classic Bill Hicks stand up concerning drugs -


2 comments:

Songbird said...

Oli

I heartily agree with you that some people are able to fulfil their potential while using illegal drugs, it all depends on that persons physical and mental constitution. I certainly have many friends and aquaintances who hold down high paid careers and live full and active lives while at the same time using varying amounts of illegal drugs.

Of course not everyone is able to do this, but surley it is their choice to put certain substances into their own bodies? To legislate over what people can and can't put into their own bodies is, I feel, an infingement of human rights. Yes, there have to be rules covering such things as driving under the influence of drugs, as in the case of alcohol. But I really do feel that if people want to take drugs then it is their choice, and if they ruin their lives because of it then that is their choice too!!

Songbird

asha1810 said...

Oli,

I do agree in some respect that drugs can take a toll on peoples ability, however I have found that some people also tend to get inspired while they are on drugs, especially when they are 'high' do they feel most creative.

I do personally feel that taking drugs is wrong, but at the same time I know many friends of mine who do take drugs, say getting totally wasted (which I tend to do on many occasions), is just as harmful, therefore I feel that it is upto that individual whether they take drugs.

Also I know a few people who take drugs solely for medicinal use, and to some degree I agree with this.

Overall, I really do think taking drugs isn't as bad as society makes out, as it is up to the person whether they over dose or not!!

Asha