Wednesday 5 March 2008

Infidelity

I am going to try to write a blog that is more directly relevant to the lectures we have recieved, and the 'infidelity' lecture seems to be the one that evokes the most theory within me.


I found it interesting to note how much reaction, response and emotion the questions and ideas raised in the lectures achieved. I am personally not an avid romantic and not one to place too much importance on coplulation, either with one's partner or indeed with someone other than one's partner, thus resulting in an act of infidelity. Interesting points are raised by Sartre on the nature of sexual desire and I am not ashamed to admit that his work is beginning to be a big influence on my thought, particularly as I make headway into 'Being and Nothingness'. I am finding it easier to digest this work than when i attempted to previously, although it is by no means anywhere near a stroll in the park to me. I am sure Simone de Beauvoir would have objections to many of Sartre's thoughts on infidelity, and I am assured she indeed voices such objection in 'She came to stay', but Sartre's thoughts on this topic do seem to take me into interesting new ground and I am willing to entertain what he may offer. I will keep this blog updated as I venture further into his work...


A relevant article from the Australian newspaper The Herald can be accessed via this link http://theherald.yourguide.com.au/articles/1160040.html?src=topstories

No comments: